Resilience, Wellbeing and Success with Elizabeth Wright and Frederika Roberts
In this episode of The School Success Formula I interview not one, but two incredible guests, Frederika Roberts and Elizabeth Wright of RWS.
Our first guest, Frederika Roberts, based on her experience as the mother of children with severe heart conditions, left a successful recruitment career to become a happiness and resilience speaker, author and Laughter Yoga Leader. She has been interviewed on BBC Breakfast, ITV Calendar News, BBC and other radio stations all over the UK, and featured and quoted in various publications, including The Guardian. She is also a Huffington Post blogger and author of the book ‘Recipe for Happiness’. She is studying towards an MSc in Applied Positive Psychology at Anglia Ruskin University.
Our second guest, Elizabeth Wright, represented Australia at two Paralympic Games and won three Paralympic medals. She is now an inspirational speaker and author of ‘Ditch the arm, keep the leg’ and has written for The Guardian, Huffington Post UK, and ‘Innovate My School’ blog. She has also been interviewed on TV and radio. She is studying towards an MA in Character Education at the University of Birmingham’s Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues.
Our guests work together on RWS (Resilience, Wellbeing, Success) which is a character education programme. Their mission is to improve the resilience and wellbeing of pupils so that they can achieve success in all areas of their lives, and to create change in education to make wellbeing and mental health a priority.
What we covered in this episode
- Frederika and Elizabeth share their stories – both of which are incredible and inspiring in equal measure.
- We talk about happiness and how to maintain an underlying level of it even when times are tough.
- We discuss how to apply the things that Frederika and Elizabeth have experienced in their extraordinary lives to more ordinary lives in times of stress, particularly when teenagers are studying for their GCSEs or A Levels.
- We talk about the WOOP model and how students can use it to anticipate obstacles and surmount them when they occur.
- We talk about the importance of gratitude and making the most of each and every moment.
- We talk about how to maintain emotional physical well-being and how instrumental they both are in achieving your goals.
- Frederika gives us a useful breathing exercise to calm us down when we’re experiencing moments of extreme stress or anxiety, such as in an exam situation.
Where to find out more about Frederika, Elizabeth and their company, RWS
Frederika and Elizabeth's RWS Website
Frederika and Elizabeth on Facebook
Frederika and Elizabeth on Twitter: @RWSuccess
Watch Frederika and Elizabeth on Youtube
Useful links from this episode
Frederika and Elizabeth’s books
‘Recipe for Happiness' – available as Kindle or Paperback on Amazon
‘Ditch the Arm, Keep the Leg' – available as Paperback from Elizabeth Wright
Other links we mentioned
Shawn Achor's book: The Happiness Advantage
Gabrielle Oettingen – Woop
Barbara Fredrickson – Broaden & Build theory of positive emotions
VIA Character institute (this page includes a parents' guide)
Lucy on twitter: @LucyCParsons
Contact Lucy by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’d like to suggest yourself as a guest for the podcast, please complete this form.