I'm Lucy Parsons. I help:
Students, parents and teachers come to me when they need an inspiring combination of practical advice and aspirational encouragement. I teach the study skills and revision techniques that get students the grades they dream of and coach them to create compelling university applications that simply can’t be ignored.
When you’ve got me on your side don’t you dare limit your dreams!
I was nine years old and on a family day-trip to Cambridge. As I walked around the Great Court of Trinity College, something stirred inside me and I knew, just knew, I had to study there.
However, I was an ordinary sheep-farmer’s daughter at my village primary school. I went on to a rather unambitious comprehensive. Nobody outside my family believed in me and they didn’t know how to show me the way to achieve my dreams.
So, I worked it out for myself. I developed a study system that earned me 5 A grades at A-Level which unlocked the door to my dream…. I studied geography at Newnham College, Cambridge.
After graduation, I was head-hunted for my first corporate job. I soon tired of office life, went round the world and then trained to be a teacher.
After four years in the classroom I started my family. Still passionate about education, but wanting to be as present as possible in the lives of my own children, I started my academic coaching business, Life More Extraordinary. My book, The Ten Step Guide to Acing Every Exam You Ever Take, was published by John Catt Educational in February 2017. I now work with a select group of students 1:1 and with many families through my online hub, The Extraordinaries Club.
Whatever the challenge, especially when the going gets tough, Lucy is always there with spot-on advice based on real experience, given with great skill.
Member of The Extraordinaries Club
Want to know more?
- 1I’ve always got at least one book on the go. I’ve read every Anne of Green Gables book there is - some of them twice!
- 2I've been married to my husband, Andy, for 12 years and we have two children aged 9 and 7.
- 3I live in the village where I grew up. When I've tried living anywhere else (and I've lived in Cambridge, London, Oxford and Newbury) I've always been homesick.
- 4My favourite treat is a trip to a cake shop. Bring on the Victoria Sandwich!
- 5I had my hair-cut by celebrity hairdresser Trevor Sorbie on stage in front of 200 people - and hated it 🙁
- 6I don't eat chocolate. It gives me migraines.
- 7My most boring paid job ever was checking empty envelopes to see if they were really empty or not.
- 8My friends and family describe me as 'determined'. I've also been described as approachable, easy to talk to and great with children and teens.
- 9When I'm not working you'll find me reading, yoga-ing, walking, playing with my children or curled up on the sofa watching Netfix with my husband.
- 10I'm living proof that if you set your mind to it, work hard, and learn what you need to know, your dreams really can come true!
The official stuff...
I have been featured in these publications